Monday 17 October 2016

Reflection

Its hard to fit everything in that you want to fit in, putting aside time to study, then work without neglecting your family. I often find the Sunday chats hard as that's my family day and its hard to suddenly have to get into the study zone.
Module 3 has got off to a slow but steady start ,I am observing my dance students and managing to make notes but it is hard to observe them and still teach the class. I might have 1 student in a class of 26 who I am observing for my research project. I often wonder if I am purposely looking for them to do a certain thing in a certain way because that's what I am expecting them to do so I have tried to take a step back from my constant questions and really try and watch and see them for who they really are. Its interesting as I am seeing patterns emerging and similarities between students that I would never have noticed if it was not for this project, this is good. Sometimes my mind starts working over time and its hard to switch off and then focus on my next class. Wednesdays are hard days as my classes are all back to back and my reflection time often has to be in the car on the long drive home from work but this works well for me.

I have had the opportunity to observe a trainee dance teacher doing her teaching practice and this made me reflect on my own practice. We take so many things for granted and often don't realise what we know until we have to break it all down and get somebody else to do it. It also made me think wow this is a hard job, there is so much to do. It took me back to my early days as a teacher and I have really amazed myself with the transformation, not just from the early days but from the start of this course. There is so much more to observations and reflections that its hard to try and tick all of the boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment